Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Book Read by Chance

When I decided at the beginning of the year to branch out on my reading topics/authors, I took suggestions from a variety of sources including magazines and friends.  Then, I typed them (all) into the search at the library, put them (all) on hold and picked them up as they became available.  That would be why I currently have my library book basket overflowing with books to read.  As I typed in one suggested book, An American Heiress, from I think the editor of Ladies Home Journal, Sally (she used to be the editor of Parents for a dozen years or so), another title popped up and so I put that on hold too.  Because it is an older book (2010), it came to me quite quickly and so I started it.  It was utterly fascinating proving that sometimes a chance thing is a good thing indeed.

Muriel's War, An American Heiress in the Nazi Resistance appealed to my love of history and my growing interest in biographies.  Muriel Gardiner and I would probably not have been friends.  She was a little left field for me, however, I would have LOVED to have met her!  She led an incredible life and encountered people such as Sigmund Freud and Albert Einstein, even referring to the later as a  friend.  She saved untold lives with her deeds and her generous pocket (though as an heir of the Swift Meatpacking Dynasty, she was loaded).  If you choose to read this book, I might mention that the pictures in the middle somewhat spoil (for me) the ending.  Somewhat.  So skip those until you finish.  Or spoil the ending if you so choose.  It isn't what I would call a quick read as it took me two weeks.  However, it was captivating and powerful.  She was an amazing woman, courageous and a forward thinker.  I'm not sure that I was a fan of her mothering style; it was quite the opposite of mine.  However, in the end, she and her daughter were quite close so it worked for them.  Great book.

On the other hand, my fave author Debbie Macomber just released two of her earlier stories, from 25 years ago and 18 years ago, updated in a single book You... Again.  I am once again struck by the romance and human drama that she uses to tell her stories instead of the smut.  I started that book yesterday and finished it today.  Delicious!

Postscript:  I did not go around the house and collect books to read.  I just hobbled to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment