Thursday, November 20, 2014

Resolution #29 the Reading Promise

As you may or may not remember, I read a book when LRHB was in first grade called The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma.  It struck a chord in me because my youngest was an emergent reader.  I was looking forward to the day when we would read side by side in the evenings, he involved in his story, I in mine.  This book talked about finding a relationship with a parent, a bond, through reading together.  It changed me and it gave me a soapbox from which to preach my epiphany about reading with your children.  I mean, I had already sent two kids off to college, I knew what I was doing.  Apparently I could be doing BETTER!  And I dragged a few friends along for the ride, calling it the Kids Book Club.  The group has evolved, however, we are still reading books to our children and getting together to watch movies.  Okay, they watch the movies and we seek comfort in our friendships.  This year, we've read with our kiddos 9 books (2 series of 3), our best year yet, with one more to come.  I am so proud to have made a reading promise to my son and kept it.  It may not be the same reading promise as Alice and her father, but it is working for us.  I discovered this amazing book is being made into a movie.  I encourage you to read the book and watch the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment