Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#16, 17, 18, 19 Running Challenge

The running challenge continued with me preparing to do the 10K.  I was working out and fitting it in and my running lengths were improving, up to 25 minutes.

Then it happened.  On May 21st, I was at work, doing my after school duty of Kiss & Go (moms/dads/others picking up students in a carpool line), when the skies opened and hail rained down.  No raindrops to prepare you, just marble sized hail.  A little picture painting for you... to get to this Kiss & Go area, you must walk past the bus parking lot and up 2 dozen stairs to the top of a hill.  Not close enough to the building to retreat.  I was standing even further away than usual because the sky looked ominous and I was trying to get the kiddos loaded as quickly as possible.  The bruises have now faded, but only in the last 10 days.  When my parents came on June 5th, I still had the bruises from the hail.  On my back, my arms, my legs.  The small people were mostly protected by myself and Super J who works duty with me.  An umbrella and our bodies shielded them until we could get them safely into cars.  I don't tell you this to extol my virtues rather I am explaining how my running got derailed.  My head hurt for a couple days from the lumps I took there.  I couldn't train as I was bruised from head to toe.

Ironically, it was not my injuries that kept me from racing.  For I did race to pick up my packet in the pouring rain on the Friday evening prior to picking up college students for the long weekend.  And then the baseball tournament began.  We split the games on Saturday.  We split the games again on Sunday.  2-2 was good enough to make the semi-finals on Monday morning.  I moseyed down to my neighbor's house and greeted her as they pulled in from a long day of fun in the sun.  I said that LRHB's team made the semi-finals tomorrow morning and she said that I had to go be a momma... no racing for us.  And the team went on to win the semi-finals in a fabulous game of great batting and strong fielding.  And they held onto the lead in the championship game until the bottom of the 5th when the other team rallied and took command of the game.  I am so blessed to have a friend that shares the same values that I do... our kids are only kids for a little while and we have show up for them while we can.  One day, I might race that 10K.  I am so proud that I trained as hard as I did.  However, I wish I could tell you that I was still running.  Not so much.    Which makes me a little sad.  Unfortunately, not sad enough to get off the computer/couch and go run.


No comments:

Post a Comment