Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What to say, what to do...

Yesterday marked the anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy.  It is now called Patriot Day.  I know there are places that it is remembered in a big way, like at the sites of the plane crashes.  Here, though, the day kinda passed by in a quiet way.  Maybe because last year was such a big remembrance, 10 years.  But I fear that it is going quietly to the wayside and I don't know how I feel about that.  Yes, the flags were flown at half-mast.  And all over FB there were memories, YouTube videos, remembrances of all kinds.  By the time I remembered, we were late for school, so I couldn't redress my boy in red, white and blue.  It would NEVER occur to me not to dress him in those colors on Independence Day.  I felt unAmerican.  But we were late and I couldn't go back and undo.  Where were the reminders from school?  Shouldn't our children be remembering?  Coming home with Wear Red, White and Blue tomorrow stickers, like they do when they want us to eat at Chick-fil-A?

Actually, I do know how I feel about it... I want to remember, but maybe it is just not appropriate for small children to be reminded of the fear that my small children lived in during the days immediately following.  2+ months of sleeping in mommy's room.  The sound of planes flying overhead, all day, every day; we never got used to that.  My boys watched the towers fall on TV because we didn't know that was going to happen.  We thought the crashes were the worst that happened.  Yesterday, I felt I should blog about Patriot Day, but I refused to blog for the sake of blogging.  Today, I woke with a need to blog about it.  A need to say, "I think we should remember MORE," yet with an understanding that we don't remember more the Bombing of Pearl Harbor.  I didn't grow up with a clear picture of the horror of that day.  That doesn't make me any less affected by it, learning about it later.

So for now, we'll use Patriot Day as a way to remember to love each other every day as if it is our last.  Be kind.  Be important.  Be smart.  Be happy.  Be loving.  Be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment