Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yes, another book review!

I read The Language of Flowers in 2 days finishing it this morning about 445.  Really, I started at LRHB's bedtime on Sunday night and didn't read it all day until his bedtime last night.  I really would have slept better if I'd just finished it last night, but I thought I could wait.  My subconscious was telling me, "not so much on the waiting!".

Vanessa Diffenbaugh writes this incredibly fascinating tale about a young, angry girl aging out of the foster care system in San Francisco.  As we learn about Victoria, we learn that she'd once had a chance at a family and had thrown it away out of guilt and fear of love.  That family taught her about the meaning of flowers; that during Victorian times (see the symbolism stuff there, her name is Victoria and she learns about Victorian times) each flower was said to have a meaning, therefore bouquets of flowers had meanings.  She parlayed this knowledge into a career, inadvertenly crossed paths with her past and learns many lessons along the way about love. 

I chose to read this book because of a post on Momastery.  In fact it is our Monkee Book Club read and on November 8th, the night before my crazy Holiday Craft Fair with 100+ vendors that I AM IN CHARGE OF, we are having a national live-stream book club session.  I think it is so cool.  I think I have something else that night, but I better not.  If you want to read the post, click here: http://momastery.com/blog/2012/09/27/i-have-never-been-more-excited-about-a-post-ever/.

Vanessa Diffenbaugh is committed to help youth aging out of the foster care system.  This is a huge national issue!  Yet, no one is talking about it!  (you're right, I am trying to get Katie Couric to talk about it... any minute people from her show are going to show up at my door and arrest me for stalking, sort of).  You can learn more here:  https://camellianetwork.org/

As I was getting ready to write this post, I looked it up to be sure that I heard about it on Momastery; I am blonde, you know.  And when I googled the author I thought, I know her!  Actually, I do not, it's just that I read so much about her 3 weeks ago that I recognized her picture.  Then, I clicked on the home page for the book on the publishers website and read a quote about the book... it was by JAIME FORD!  That must be where I got the book title Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet to read!  I love how things just work themselves out sometimes!

So get this book fast, read it and join me on November 8th for adult book club!  I'm returning my copy to the library today!

No comments:

Post a Comment