Sunday, May 3, 2015

Resolution #10

Mix up your Exercise Routine

I challenge those of you who do the same classes or the same activity to find something new to do.  It could be as simple as what I did:  I got off the treadmill and heading into the woods.

I have been walking for the last several months.  I walk at school on the playground or in the testing areas.  I walk on the treadmill at the gym, rocking out to the tunes on my iPod.  I admit, I am content with my routine, my habits.

A few weeks ago, LRHB was invited to go on a hike with a friend.  The deer in headlights look caught me off guard.  He loves being outside.  He loves being with this friend.  He is in good shape because he is a duel sport kid.  However, we don't hike so he was afraid he wouldn't be able to keep up.  Then the hike turned into a bike ride which he did and loved, but also had great anxiety about undertaking.  

So I have moved my walking routine outside to the many trails in our area and I am dragging the kid along with me.  First, I don't think I should be hiking by myself; this is what I use to convince him to go with me.  He's such a good boy that he wants to keep his momma safe.  Next, I think it is a good way to broaden his training; you don't much running in baseball or swimming (not that we are running, but you get the point).  Finally, we have gotten into a rut about being together; it is usually filled with me listing the chores/homework that needs to get done and him complaining about it as we rush off to another of his activities.  We use this hiking time to talk, really talk, to each other.

Perhaps the monotony of your exercise routine could use a little spicing up, as mine did.  The added bonus of shared time with the kid is like finding an extra chocolate at the back of the kitchen drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment