Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Book 61

The Hundred Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais held me rapt through the entire trip of the young man's life.  So much so that I completely forgot that it was fiction, it seemed so real to me.  As I finished the book and began to read the acknowledgements, I was perplexed.  I checked the author's name, then the side of the book completely convinced that perhaps he'd mistakenly forgotten to thank the young chef he'd documented.  No-no.  It was fiction.  Wow.  The characters were so well-developed that they seemed real.  The journey was fraught with strife and I had cried at times.  I thought that this young person had overcome so much to grow into the man he'd become.  Perhaps that is the best compliment that a reader can pay a writer.  I forgot it wasn't real.  I hope the movie (released last summer) does it justice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment