Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I have a lot to say today...

And actually, a lot more I am supposed to be doing.  However, I have been running crazy the last week or so and will continue that sprint for the next month or so.  Consequently, I am taking time to be here with you,  people of my heart.  I've been catching up on my reading this morning and thought you might enjoy reading this by the daughter of a friend of mine.

http://ourveryowncircus.blogspot.com/2013/04/boston-youre-my-home-ode-to-my-adopted.html

How have I been helping my LRHB get through the yucky news?  A quote by Mr. Rogers, of course.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'" — Fred Rogers

Interestingly enough, when I went looking for this quote, I found it on an Urban Legands site.  It is authentic. Just last night, the bombing came up in dinner conversation and LRHB made a comment and I said back, but remember when bad things happen... he cut me off.  "Look for the helpers.  Look for the good people."  To which someone at the table replied, "So that's where you get your optimistic attitude from," about College Boy.  BIGGEST. COMPLIMENT. EVER.

Also in my reading this morning I found this:  http://www.kellehampton.com/2013/04/free-hugs-enjoying-small-things.html which I appreciated for bringing the sun into a gloomy time.  I especially loved this quote at the end:  

Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it. ~Helen Keller

I really like that.  In fact, I'd like that on my wall.  Someday.  

I read some sad stuff.  I had recently been called to pray for a small boy with whom I quickly fell in love.  Here is the eulogy his mom gave:  

http://www.kateleong.com/2013/04/mommys-eulogy-to-her-superhero.html#.UXgDTLXk98E

And finally, I watched this:  

http://vimeo.com/64613503

As it finished, I found myself saying aloud to no one at all, "I was a part of that."  It made me feel POWERFUL.  And so I will face my day with this power in my heart that "We Can Do Hard Things, Love Wins, and Just Show Up."  Stepping into being the best person I can be.  Join me on my walk.  Can I get an AMEN?!  AMEN!  Enjoy your weekend.  Mine starts in just 4.5 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment