I don't know if this is a repeat, nor am I going to double check because for me this week is all about trying something new. I got a job. It kinda happened quickly and as of Monday I am employed as a Crossing Guard for my son's elementary school. I will also be picking up some extra hours as a sub. I am really excited to be a part of the staff, again. Cause I used to be a sub in the building prior to LRHB coming into our world. So many observations about this new chapter in my life:
- I love being part of something BIGGER. I serve my community and it gives me immense pride. I stand there on the corner smiling this enormous grin and feel like it my job to welcome everyone that drives by to a new, wonderful day. I do wonder a bit what they think of this grinning crazy person, but hopefully it touches someone's heart.
- I didn't anticipate it being such a change for LRHB which makes my heart hurt a little. We'll get there, I know, but I didn't mentally prepare for it. I mean, we go to school every day and go home everyday. The only difference is we have to go earlier and stay longer, which we did many days in the afternoon. The morning piece... I mean we're up. It's just about opening our hearts to making some changes. Now I know.
- I love the smiling faces and friendly waves. I never really did that when we were in the car for the previouse guard. Maybe it is just cause it is new and it will die down. I feel like I'm in my own parade each morning waving left and right! But I have one sweet girl who puts her window down and shouts in her own quiet way, "Good Morning!" and my heart just sings.
- I am learning. The Lord has some qualities He wants me to work on and this is how he is doing it. Patience. There isn't a lot of foot traffic at my corner so I wait patiently. Those of you who know me know that quiet waiting isn't really ME! Tolerance. Most people DO NOT DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT IN A SCHOOL ZONE! I don't recognize the same folks racing through my area each day, so each day I tell myself that they didn't slow down not because they are rule breakers, but because their hearts are breaking. Their mind is with their heart and I need to TOLERATE that all people are not perfect and give them GRACE. Forgiveness. See above bit on Tolerance. Kindness and generosity (again see the tolerance part).
- I am praying. Yes, I sit there on my corner and pray for those headed to work. And those headed to school. For my family. For my prayer list. TWICE A DAY. He wanted me to have more time with Him; that's why I landed this job.