Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Book 11

Recently, someone posted a link to an article on Facebook "14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen."  I thought it was a great source to find some novels.  
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-the-big-screen

I didn't check to see that the article was more than 6 months old primarily because one of the books/movies mentioned has been advertised all over the place for the last month as it is being released this Friday (The Monuments Men).  From that list, I decided some of them looked interesting (in the moment) and I ordered them up from the library.  One of them was The Spectacular Now and when I updated my Nook this weekend, I discovered it had almost expired.  During the last couple evenings, as the snow drifted down and we were cozy inside, I dove into this novel.

As I began reading this juvenile novel, I was wondering what on earth possessed me to choose this book.  I have nothing in common with the characters and I wasn't sure the main character was even likable.  It was like Breakfast Club for this new century of cell phones and internet.  I was compelled to finish (and have ordered the DVD from the library) yet I cannot say I enjoyed it.  My big boys grew up just a minute behind the new technology, but my LRHB is in it to his eyeballs.  Third graders with I-phones, REALLY!? Yet, this isn't about technology, but teens and rights of passage and making choices and living with them.  It is growing and learning and pain.  Did I love it?  No.  But, I didn't walk away from it either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment