Saturday, February 1, 2014

2014 - Room Resolution Plan

Somewhere I read an approach to clearing out your house one room at a time.  I decided that this would fit into my resolution revolution.  However, it now being February 1st, you might be wondering where I've been all year!  Well, I couldn't decide WHERE to start.  I wanted to start in my bedroom, but I needed to start in my kitchen/breakfast area room.  This would be because in looking for stuff I've managed to dump out two drawers onto the kitchen table which we haven't been able to use since.  I was right back to where I was when I started this whole thing with wanting to do everything at one time.  Throw in a couple weeks of illness, umpteen trips up and down the highway to colleges, plus, you know that whole job thing and January has VANISHED.  Let me be clear, however, that even though I wasn't HERE I was a work in PROGRESS.

So my schedule looks something like this:

JANUARY - MY BEDROOM
FEBRUARY - KITCHEN
MARCH - TOYS
APRIL - LAUNDRY ROOM (TIME TO SERVICE THE EQUIPMENT)
MAY - KID BEDROOM - BEFORE COMPANY COMES TO STAY IN IT
JUNE - KID BEDROOM - HE'S HOME AND CAN HELP
JULY - GARAGE
AUGUST - KID BEDROOM (HE LIVES HERE FULL TIME AND SO WE'LL NEED TO CLEAR OUT ALL THE STUFF THAT NO LONGER FITS AS A NEW SCHOOL YEAR APPROACHES)
SEPTEMBER - ALL BATHROOMS
OCTOBER - ALL REMAINING CLOSETS
NOVEMBER - STORAGE ROOM IN BASEMENT
DECEMBER - NOTHING, IT IS THE MONTH YOU CREATE HAVOC IN YOUR HOME AND CALL IT DECORATING FOR CHRISTMAS

Now, looking over this list, I have decided that there area a few faults in my plan because it doesn't cover yard work, which I would love to be in the plan.  Also, it doesn't include the main living areas of our home - the two great rec rooms - which are a constant work in progress or our dining room.  It doesn't include our dining room, because it is our toy room (See March). Except for my china hutch which yes, sits in my toy room.  At some point, it needs to be cleaned out, cause when in doubt, put it in a drawer in the hutch.  In putting this plan together, it has lifted the burden of doing it all at once NOW from my shoulders.  Sort of.  I mean, I would love to be snapping pictures and selling toys NOW instead of March.  However, this is not a quick project for me cause I have never done that stuff (Ebay or Craig's List) so it would (for me) be an entire weekend project or month long project, therefore it is being pushed out to March.

I also feel compelled to explain why I feel that 2014 is the year I really need to clear out.  The last two summers, we've lived near areas that burned down homes.  Friends evacuated; some losing everything.  I look around my home and I have SO MUCH STUFF.  Most of which I didn't want to take with me when I thought about what I would pack up and take.  Pictures take.  Homemade quilts and blankets (at the time strewn across the home) take. Hard drive for the computer (and/or the entire computer) take.  Even when it came to clothing, I realized that I had so much stuff that I would never take it.  I took the stuff from the dryer cause let's be honest, that is what I was wearing. 2014 - the year of clearing OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment