Saturday, January 25, 2014

Books 4, 5, 6

I finished the Canadian West Series by Janette Oke.  Remember how I said that I couldn't wait to find out the rest of their lives?  Boy was I disappointed.  It seems, based on comments made by the author at the beginning of the book, that she was urged by fans to finish this series.  Unfortunately, there is being motivated by fans and feeling pushed by fans; I'd love to interview her and see if my feelings of "pushed" are accurate.  I read and reread the first chapter.  Then I turned to my computer and the page that I use for information on this series to confirm that I had not missed a book.  Or 4.  Eventually, I figured it out.  Fast-forward a couple of decades.  Yes, we got most of the story filled in, but honestly, I would have rather lived it with Elizabeth than learn it from her daughter and son.  In reality, these last two books told their story and not their parents.  I enjoyed them, however, I haven't quite recovered from the disappointment that although these books are in the same series as the first two, they are completely separate, by themselves.  Just noticed I didn't mention the titles:  Beyond the Gathering Storm and When Tomorrow Comes.  A final note that refuses to die in my head, really she could have told both stories in one book.

Then, I got a miserable cold.  And though I have a compelling novel waiting for me to read, I went straight to a good old trashy romance (Harlequin!) to seek comfort and escape from my lousy cold.  Millionaire Cop and Mom-To-Be by Charlotte Hughes was very satisfying without a great deal of emotional commitment or time spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment