Saturday, December 7, 2013

Catching up! 47-49

Oh I have a LOT of catching up to do.  See, I've been on vacation.  I spent 12 days visiting with family.  A week at the beach with my family followed by 5 days with my in-laws and that side of the family.  There were some really great times.  I thought I'd read the 23 books I downloaded onto my Nook... LOL!  It was time best spent connecting with people.  I am so blessed.  Some of it was stressful, I won't lie.  But at 12:30 am after being delayed 3 hours and landing in bitter cold and snow, we got on the wrong shuttle bus to take us to our car and I just started laughing cause what else can you do?!  Just a 30 minute detour.  But the car started and we arrived home safe and sound at 4 am to the blessed news that we had a school delay (later to become a snow day!).

Where do I start?

47 - Throw Out Old Make-Up:  So make-up is supposed to be used within a year and then tossed.  I don't wear much make-up, mostly mascara and eyeliner.  And I mostly wear it around the holidays and for family pictures which we had taken last week.  So I opened the drawer where the make-up was hibernating and looked the entire situation over.  I was glad to see that it was NOT the Clinque make-up I bought when I got married over 2 decades ago.  However, I thought and thought and thought and couldn't come up with a time that I'd bought the Mary Kay that was in my drawer.  Perhaps when my lifelong friend was a MK person which was before she started teaching and before she went back to school for her teaching license.  Read that a very long time ago.  So, I tossed.  Half-used make-up sponges, tossed.  Used up lipstick, tossed.  I had recently purchased new lipstick and then I purchased new mascara and eyeliner to the tune of $11.  But to not get an eye infection, it is worth it.  And I didn't use the rest of that stuff, so I didn't replace it.  I am asking you, think about what you have, what you use and what could be tossed in the interest of good health and less clutter.

48 - Prepare for the Holidays:  Now some folks may take exception to the fact I didn't say "Prepare for Christmas", but honestly I needed to prep for Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Nicholas Day and the New Year as well as two birthdays.  I needed to prep for the entire season.  I caved and let my husband choose our son's gift this year (he'll love it).  I bought St Nick's Day gifts for my College Boy and Teen Boy and wrapped them so I could give them to them when we were on vacation to take back to school with them.  I purchased the rest of the birthday gifts to pass out at our Thanksgiving Beach Reunion to the nieces and nephews, but still not sure what to do about Christmas gifts.  I had to rewrite the recipe I needed to make for Thanksgiving Dinner.  I gathered with my girls and prepped a gazillion meals so we can enjoy the season instead of worrying about dinner.  Everyone needs to step back and picture what they want their season to look like... from decorating to baking to present buying.

49 - Celebrate a Feast Day:  I've been wanting to celebrate Feast Days all year long (it was supposed to be the focus of our Lenten Journey, however...) and we finally did!  We actually started celebrating the Feast of St. Nicholas years ago after the big boys learned about it in school (see, public schools do cover all kinds of stuff!).  However, apparently LRHB doesn't remember us celebrating it (and since I'd started working last November, it is possible that I missed last year).  He and I got on the computer and "learned" about St. Nicholas together.  This was a great site for that: http://www.loyolapress.com/assets/saints/saint-nicolas.swf.  I can tell you that if you aren't Catholic, it is still interesting to read about St. Nicholas as the secular Santa Claus is based upon him.  There are also Feast Days every day in December if you want to try this resolution out yourself.  LRHB found an ornament in his shoes from St. Nicholas.  I told him that in our family, traditionally St. Nicholas gifts are preparing us for Christmas.  He then remembered getting his Santa hat one year.  The big boys got holiday boxers and matching stocking caps!  Other things St. Nick has brought are books about the Christmas season.

It seems as if the year is quickly winding up, but don't worry... I am going to try to complete the missing resolutions from the summer (I have 4 more!).

No comments:

Post a Comment