Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Books 88 & 89

I have started a new series.  Last month, I believe, I learned that Hallmark Channel would be starting a new series in January, based on Janette Oke's series Canadian West, "When Calls the Heart".  I knew then that I would want to read the books prior to watching the 2 hour premiere movie (on my DVR) and the watching the series.  

Of course, other books got in the way and these books have a nasty habit of disappearing from my Nook before I've had a chance to read them.  Nevertheless, I have finished the first two books in the series, When Calls the Heart and When Comes the Spring and I am now again waiting for the next book.  Sigh.  Of course, I doubt that they will get through the first and second books in the first season, so I am not too worried about it.

I like the books.  I will say they are Hallmark, "G-rated", which comes as no surprise having read Janette's bio: "...pioneered inspirational fiction..." and "has been honored... and the Christy Award" the latter is given for excellence in Christian Fiction.  That aside, the series isn't an ongoing romance series as many of the other series that I read, which is what I expected.  The series continues to tell the story of our heroine, Elizabeth, and her life in the Canadian West.  In fact, I would recommend this series to teen girls looking for books to read because they are compelling yet clean.  

I thought perhaps that I would reach the loft goal of 100 books this year, however, I'm not even going to reach 90 even though with two weeks left in the year I had only 4 books to go.  I've enjoyed the books I've read, the characters I've met and earnestly cheer the fact that my 2011 resolution to begin reading again has blossomed to such lofty achievements as 89 books!  With 8 hours left in the year, I could certainly finish another.  However, I will spend it watching football, cooking and playing games with my people.  Happiness is...

No comments:

Post a Comment