Sunday, May 5, 2013

Surviving the Band Trip

I did survive the band trip.  Part 1 - 15 hour bus trip:  With a little help with my Motrin Nighttime, I was able to sleep on the bus.  Probably to the dismay of my co-chaperons.  I slept through one whole stop on the way down; a stop I didn't know we were making.  Actually, I think I slept through one on the way back too.

Part 2 - Tour Day was fabulous!  The trip to the 6th Floor Museum was interesting and informative.  For those of you like me that have NO IDEA what this museum is, it is about the assassination of JFK.  We got those headsets to wear and walked through the exhibits.  It was very cool.  But the most cool thing was our tour of Dallas Stadium.  Now, I am not a fan of the Cowboys.  In fact, I root for their arch enemy the Redskins.  And I wore my Redskins shirt there as did Teen Boy - such fun!  But that place is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!  I took a bunch of pictures to share and learned so much stuff.  Like the Jonas Brothers played some video game on the BIG SCREEN.  And it is the largest this and that and the lockers are made of some special wood imported from Africa and cost about 10K a piece.  Dinner that night was at a Mall Food Court.  I ate soup and a sandwich from the SoupMan (apparently he's only called the Soup Nazi by Jerry and his friends).  This mall had some VERY upscale shops and then some places I would be able to afford.  It also had a pond with turtles so I took a picture for the LRHB.

Part 3 - The performance.  They played the absolute best I have EVER heard them.  And my boy rocked his solo.  They deserved this trip, this chance to play in a beautiful concert hall.  The performance was followed by another pizza buffet.  UGH.  And then fun at the Go-Kart place.  Now, I got my kicks on a motorcycle racing video game inside and even came in FIRST.  A fun time was had by all in spite of a too early departure to hang at the hotel and then have a family style meal at Buca Di Beppo (I miss that place!).  Crazy times rocked the hotel that evening but I was super proud of our teens and how they handled being in a hotel with another band that had slightly different rules (like NO rules!!).

Part 4 - Six Flags over Texas.  The kids had a ball riding the roller coasters and I enjoyed the train and the antique cars and hanging with my girl Momma R.  I got the horrid news from home while in the park.  I hoped, oh how I hoped that the kiddos would be protected from the news.  D*MN that social media.  Lesson of the day - it is okay to have fun when sad things happen.  Teen Boy lost his 1 week old phone on a roller coaster.  Perspective - it is only a phone.  I think it ruined his day.  Add lack of sleep (his room missed bus roll call!  Too funny!!) and poor diet and he discovered that those things do not make for a happy boy.  I finished the day with a funnel cake.  Just so much goodness in that funnel cake!

Part 5 - Ride home.  Those bus drivers rocked that ride home!  We came back in just over 13 hours - such joy!  Yes, I am recalling sleeping through another later night stop.  I do still have a crick in my shoulder from bus sleeping.  But breakfast was Sonic. Everyone else lined up at McDonald's or headed to Denny's where I thought the waitress was quite rude so I convinced Teen Boy to walk farther down the road with me to Sonic.   YUM!  A good time was had by all, I think.  Just gotta figure out how to get the pictures off of my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment