Monday, April 6, 2015

Resolution #9

Resolution #9 Preparing for Lent

This is a resolution that I give myself every year.  I don't want the Lenten season to rush by without being purposeful.  I want to set time aside for preparing myself for my God's greatest gift.  

So the LRHB and I had a discussion on our way to practice.  I said that I thought we needed to do more family prayer.  He said that we have tried that before and it didn't work.  I felt we should try it again, however he thought he should go without during the Lenten season instead.  He didn't want to give up soda, as he knew that we were going on vacation and he would be able to drink all he wanted on our cruise ship.  He didn't want to give up candy, because Valentine's Day had just happened and he had counted out pieces of candy to put in his lunch box for a couple weeks.  He didn't want to give up T.V. because of March Madness.  I proposed that he give up desserts because I don't make them very often.  He agreed until he remembered what his brothers told him about dining on the cruise.  In the end, he decided more prayer time would be an appropriate choice.  

As we were reading before bed that evening, I noticed he had his Rosary out on his nightstand.  I inquired why it was there and my heart swelled to hear his response.  "It is here to help me to remember to pray to God every night."  (No, praying to God is not a part of our normal routine.  I don't know how that slipped through the cracks, but don't beat me up.  I am doing the best I can!)  During the Lenten season, some nights I would come in and find his eyes closed and his lips moving.  When he'd finished, he open his eyes and announce his prayer of choice.  Some nights, he'd ask me if I wanted to join him.

Yesterday was Easter.  I asked him last night if he was going to put it away.  "Not yet," was his response.  

No comments:

Post a Comment